Nokia & Microsoft - WindowsPhone 8 & Lumia 920....Should you try?


Happy New Year and Welcome to 2013, just another year in my life.
My first post in 2013 and my 1st English blog post here.
Anyway, my 1st blog post should related to what I interested most, the IT & Gadget off course, and since I also had a chance to own the Nokia Lumia 920. So, let's this be my 1st English blog here ^^.

Last year, I got some (so called bad) experienced with Nokia  & Microsoft (MS) from their Lumia 900 and WindowsPhone (WP) 7.5 device (I personally call it the "Prototype phone"). After I owned it for 2-3 months, then I got the good news that, they will abandon my shiny new Lumia device and make the new start with WP 8 which they claim that it will be miles better than the WP7.5 (Thanks mate, well done - -').

From that moment, I swear to myself that, I won't be fooled by them anymore.

But, one day, I heard the news that Nokia Thailand offer the "Test drive" campaign, which allow us to get the Lumia920 for 3 days & 2 nights trail. That's rang my bell, and I think better try and see how it different from my Lumia900 abandoned edition. So, I jumped.

After the "Test drive" period end and I went to Nokia shop to return the test drive device. Before I knew, I already got (and paid for) the brand new shiny red Lumia 920 with me when I left the shop. What's a shame here.

Nokia Lumia 920 Red.... Hope you not abandon me again....

Now live with my red Lumia920 for nearly 2 months ^^

How about the Lumia 920 and WP8 compared with Lumia 900 and WP7.5? 
Personally, I would say it's really significantly improved from WP7.5 and my old (oh! boy) Lumia 900 in the performance wise. Maybe because of the all new OS architecture and the better device specification. 

But, how about the Lumia 920 with WP8 compared with the iOS  devices and Android devices?
I would say,
In the device point of view, Nokia Lumia 920 can compete with most of the other OS's devices.
But in the Operating system (OS) point of view, WP8 still can't compete with iOS or Android platform.

Why, does WindowsPhone 8 sucks?
Personally, I would say no.
WP8 is good OS and I think it meets the standard of what the mobile device's OS should be.
If we considering that, this is the 1st generation of WP8 (as I mentioned, MS re-designed WP8 from the scratch, the interface of WP7.5 & WP8 may give you the same feeling, but deep inside, it totally different architecture). How far you can expected from the 1st generation OS anyway?

But, the point that make me a bit disappointed is, WP8 is lack of improvement in the features point of view (as I mentioned, the performance point of view is really improved). It have some new features but those aren't enough to be the killer features.
What makes the situation worst is, the "Killer" feature like "Seamless integration with Skype" didn't work as they promised and Skype turn to be the culprit of WP8 stability and battery drained issue. (Oh, what a fail)

The most critical part in my point of view is, Microsoft and Nokia decided to make a new start with WP8, instead of customize or update from WP7.5, but which version of iOS and Android most of others people using now?
How the 1st generation OS from MS can compete with 6th and 4th generation from the competitors?

Anyway, as the customers, we shouldn't bother with their move or decision, let them take care of those.
What I think we should focused on is, either it the 1st generation or 10th generation, the device we choose must at least serve our requirement and expectation as the smartphone and we think it worth what we paid for.

So, does the Lumia 920 worth to try?
I got lot of this kind of questions from people around me. To me, I can't tell you if it worth or not, but I can give you some questions to help you make your decision easier. Let's try these;
  1. Are you a challenging person and willing to try something new? (something new, mean you can't expect what you experienced from the others here)
    If yes, please proceed to 2nd question. If no, let's consider others OS.
  2. Are you patient enough to wait for Microsoft and Nokia update/improve their WindowsPhone 8 and Lumia 920 or not? (Some WP devices still facing the battery drained and stability issue, but some don't) From my point of view, you need to wait at least 6 months from now until you will see the proper path forward of this platform
    If the answer is yes, please proceed to the last question. But if no,  If no, let's consider others OS.
  3. The most important question, do you addicted or enjoy playing the popular apps from other OS or not (especially the Social network apps, Photo editing, Camera apps)? Could you live with your smartphone with out those for at least 6 months?
    If the answer is yes, then WP8 and Lumia920 is your smartphone and welcome aboard. But if no, let's consider others OS and come back again after 6 months.
I think only those 3 basic questions are enough to determine whether WP8 is suits you or not. Nobody can tell you except yourself.

To me, my answers are yes for all questions. So, I'm happy with my red Lumia920 (and hope that MS and Nokia will make me happier ^^)

PS 1. But, if Microsoft is so stubborn enough and repeat the same mistake as they screw WP7.5 again. If WP8 won't have any clear path forward within the next 6 months, I may re-considering my choice ^^.
PS 2. I love Nokia, most of the annoying things about my WP8 devices are from Microsoft side.


Goodbye my Lumia 900 abandon me edition....


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

จุดเด่น จุดแข็ง ของ Windows Phone ที่หลายๆคนมองข้าม People Hub มีอะไรมากกว่าที่คุณคิด ตอนที่ 1: Link contact

รายละเอียดคุณสมบัติใหม่ใน Windows 10 สำหรับมือถือ Build ล่าสุด 10551 และข้อควรระวังก่อนอัพ

ทำอย่างไร เมื่อเครื่อง Nokia Lumia ของเราเปิดไม่ติด?